Re: Firewall configurations

RGKärcher wrote:
hi guys ,

I want to ask you , about the Iptables configurations

When I run nmap ,it says me that I have an specific
port open ...

When I do a web test of open port at
http://scan.sygatetech.com/prequickscan.html

Its says me another ports open or closed ....

when I run netstat it says me another completely
different thing ...

I dont know what to trust ...

for example I want to close the udp port 111 and icmp
8 . Can I do this for example in the terminal :

 ./iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 111 -j DROP

and the port will automatically be closed ?

or should I restart the machine ?

thanks in advance ,
richard karcher

A lot depend on how you are connected to the internet, and unfortunately you do not mention this.

You also do not mention your iptables rules either.

In theory the line you mention above should work without restarting the PC (and dropping the ./ if you're not in the /sbin folder).

However this can depend so much on your other rules I cannot say it will.

How about you give us more information?

Regards,
Ed.
begin:vcard
fn:Edward Dekkers
n:Dekkers;Edward
org:Triple D Computer Services Pty. Ltd.;Management
adr:;;822 Rowley Road;Oakford;WA;6121;Australia
email;internet:edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Mr.
tel;work:(08) 9397-1040
tel;fax:(08) 9397-0749