Re: REPOST: Wireless encryption that works on both Windows and FC3

Tarek Aly wrote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tarek Aly <tarekmnabil@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Jan 3, 2006 6:49 PM
Subject: Wireless encryption that works on both Windows and FC3
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone,

I'm a complete newbie and I've been trying to get my wireless network up and
running on FC3 (after I gave up on FC4 I had to downgrade).

I reached the point where I could connect to my AP when encryption is
disabled. When enabling encryption, the only way I can connect is when I use
a 64 bit key (WEP 64) (I have to mention here that I'm surprised there's no
way from the GUI to specify the encryption mode).

Now my problem is, Windows only allows, AFAIK, another encryption mode which
uses ASCII keys and does not have the 64 bit key scheme as an option.

Windows, I suspect, is being clever. If you enter
	passw
then that's an ascii string (five characters).
However
	pass
is invalid, too short.
	3132333435
is clearly five bytes of hexadecimal, a valid WEP-40 key
and so on.

So, currently, whenever I switch from Windows to Linux, I have to connect
through a network cable to my AP to re-configure encryption. Is there a way
around this problem?

Every help is appreciated.

P.S. How can I search the archives of this list?

Google is good, read the advanced search tips.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait