Re: REPOST: Wireless encryption that works on both Windows and FC3

Erik P. Olsen wrote:
On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 12:15 -0800, Josh Coffman wrote:
--- Tarek Aly <tarekmnabil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tarek Aly <tarekmnabil@xxxxxxxxx>

Now my problem is, Windows only allows, AFAIK,
another encryption mode which
uses ASCII keys and does not have the 64 bit key
scheme as an option.

So, currently, whenever I switch from Windows to
Linux, I have to connect
through a network cable to my AP to re-configure
encryption. Is there a way
around this problem?

I've got wep-128 working under fc4 using ndiswrapper
on my laptop. I have a windows partition on the same
laptop which also has no problems with the same
wep-128 configuration.

What sort of change do you have to make on the AP to
get it to work? It also might help to know what
hardware is involved.
I don't know about FC3, but NetworkManager is a nice
applet if your runnning gnome.
Consider WPA encryption, see: http://www.nmrc.org/~inertia/fedora-wpa/

I've got WPA Pre-Shared Key with AES working with NDISWrapper and
wpa_supplicant. Same computer to same WAP (Both Windows & Linux
on the box (computer)). I'm using ASCII keys on both Windows
and Linux.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site