Re: Ouch!

Ian Malone wrote:

Are there many viable alternatives about?  FAT has the advantages of
being quite simple and fairly lightweight in processor power and speed
for small filesystems, and most device manufacturers are already used
to licensing technologies.  Alternatively they could just revert to
8.3 support for files, it wouldn't affect usb key applications as
windows is handling the file system then (but it's a blow to
interoperability, USB keys wouldn't work between Win and Mac or Linux).

My camera does 8.3. At present I'm using a 512 Mb card; I don't know what happens if I go bigger, what's the next size limit that matters to FAT?

I'd like to see an open format make it, but I'm not sure there are
any on the horizon.

If they're allergic to GPL, there are some BSD filesystems to choose from.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait