Re: File System Errors

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 09:53 -0500, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
> Good Morning Everyone:
>

> I was attempting to make an update to our webserver this morning, and
> got an error telling me that I did not have write permissions to a
> directory that I should have,  I sshed in and tried to check the
> permission, and change them, and received notification that my
> filesystem was read only.  This is an FC3 box running an ext3 file
> system.  I thought this to be extremely suspicious, so I went to the
> console to investigate.  When I got there, the screen was full of
> scrolling notices that there had been a journal exception.

> I rebooted the system, and when it came back telling me that the file
> system had been uncleanly unmounted, I forced the file system
> integrity check.  It promptly kicked me out to a shell, and told me to
> run the fsck command, which I did,  Its now running the command.

> My question has four parts:

PLEASE do not post with HTML or other fancy formating stuff.  See below
for an example of problems. (inline reply messed up your numbering).

>      1. What happened?
something corrupted the journal

>      1. What can I do to prevent it from happening again (this is the
>         second time in 6 months that this has happened on this box)?
Scan the disk for possible (likely) bad sectors. The repeat occurrence
seems to indicate that damage may be progressing, and the journal gets
the most activity of any part of the disk.

smartd has a lot of capabilities that may help.

>      1. what else do I need to do to remedy it
You may need to replace the disk depending on the results of the step
above.  I hope you have a recent backup handy.

>      1. is there any way that I could have known about this earlier, I
>         interacted with the box last on Saturday afternoon, and it
>         appeared happy then.

Probably not.

> Any and all input that you might have would be appreciated.
>
> TIM

HTH
Jeff