Re: File System Errors

Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
> I was attempting to make an update to our webserver this morning, and
> got an error telling me that I did not have write permissions to a
> directory that I should have,  I sshed in and tried to check the
> permission, and change them, and received notification that my
> filesystem was read only.  This is an FC3 box running an ext3 file
> system.  I thought this to be extremely suspicious, so I went to the
> console to investigate.  When I got there, the screen was full of
> scrolling notices that there had been a journal exception.
>
> I rebooted the system, and when it came back telling me that the file
> system had been uncleanly unmounted, I forced the file system integrity
> check.  It promptly kicked me out to a shell, and told me to run the
> fsck command, which I did,  Its now running the command.
>
> My question has four parts:
>
> 1.	What happened?

Probably a hardware problem. Could be power, could be cooling, could be
memory, could be the CPU, could be the motherboard, could be a hard
drive.

> 2.	What can I do to prevent it from happening again (this is the
> second time in 6 months that this has happened on this box)?
> 3.	what else do I need to do to remedy it
> 4.	is there any way that I could have known about this earlier, I
> interacted with the box last on Saturday afternoon, and it appeared
> happy then.

Is this local to you, or is it in a remote datacentre?

Power and cooling should be fairly obvious. Do you have a UPS? Is it
working properly?

Are all the fans working? Is there much dust in the case?

For the hard disks, you should try
smartctl -l error /dev/hda
(from smartmontools: it's part of Fedora Core).

You can test a lot of the system (including memory) with memtest.

Slightly dodgy CPUs are difficult to test, because you don't know what's
dodgy. The standard recommendation always used to be a kernel compile,
which still sounds worthwhile.

And get good backups!

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "The letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode, but the
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | language is that of Microsoft, which I will not utter