Re: Best way to completely remove eclipse and install?

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 10:18 -0800, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> After monkeying around with eclipse, I finally got to
> the point that it is totally useless (the Fedora port)
> so now I want to completely remove eclipse and
> issue an complete reinstallation.
>
> Here is what I did:
>
> 1) rpm --nodeps -e `rpm -qa | grep eclipse`
> note: there was at least 10-20 packages that was
> listed and silently removed.
>
> 2) I moved /etc/yum.repos.d/jpackage*= to .save (to move this out of the way)
>
> 3) yum clean all (I wanted a complete yum cache flush)
>
> 4) yum update
>
> Only two files (out of 20 or so) appeared:
>
> + eclipse-package
> + eclipse-rcp
>
> I thought...  something is wrong - ran it anyway, and up!
> Eclipse logo comes up but missing dependences appears
> in the user's .eclipse directory log files.
>
> So what is the procedure to completely restore elipse to pristine condition?

yum erase <package>
This will remove the package and anything dependent upon that package
cleanly.

Followed by "yum install <package>" to do a clean reinstall of the
package and verify all its dependencies.

I would guess that your "rpm --nodeps -e ..." command broke the database
dependencies.  You did not say whether you ran the 'rpm -qa | grep
eclipse' part of the command first to review what would be removed
before you did the removal.

You can try to reinstall each of the removed packages manually to fix
the missing pieces of the puzzle.

HTH
Jeff