re: "at"

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 22:29 +0100, Peter Lesterhuis wrote:

> >I want to start an app at a certain time, say 2 hours from now. For
> >> instance xmms, oowriter or mplayer. I can't make this happen when I use
> >> "at".
> >> When I type a shell-command like "cp" using "at", then it works.
> >> In the documentation I cannot find any limitations of launching apps
> >> with "at". Is it an authorization problem (launching x-based apps?).
> >> On the other hand mplayer won't start either.
> >> I'm aware this is not a typical question for this list, but I don know
> >> where else to put my question.
> >

> >Peter,
> >
> >Please, tell us how do you issue the AT command to run mplayer.
> >
> >(I can run mplayer and openoffice with AT.)
> >

> This is the command I issue:
> $ at now + 2 minutes
> at> mplayer http://livemedia.omroep.nl/radio4-breed?MSWMExt=.asf
> Peter.

i think the problem is that the at environment does not include the x
screen.  most gui type programs won't work in a non-x environment.  saw
a nice script at one point that ran avidemux2 in a batch/cli/at type
mode by creating a screen buffer.  but that was to make it happy, not to
actually let it display anything to a user.

at's not intended for gui stuff, IMHO.

john