Re: unbelievably stupid mistake - i broke /usr/lib need help

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 23:47 -0600, John Pierce wrote:

> I have found that it is faster to do a reinstall of the system than to
> backup an entire system and then restore.  I only back up my /home
> directory and my name and web server configurations along with
> /var/www/html.

Yes, only backup the data and the configs, that's usually enough.

But if you do that, then it's not absolutely necessary to create many
partitions. It's backed up anyway, and you're reinstalling anyway so
everything might as well be on a huge / partition.

Currently my home system is partitioned like this:

$ df -m
Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda2                48432     32345     13588  71% /
/dev/hda6               204784    104952     99833  52% /av
/dev/hda1                  251        14       225   6% /boot
/dev/shm                   252         0       252   0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda3                29982     16268     13714  55% /win

Almost everything is on a big / because this is the most flexible
scheme.
/av is formatted XFS and it's separate because it's used by MythTV, by
the camcorder, etc.
I tend to keep /boot separate yet, although it's probably not entirely
justified.
/win is the XP partition, formatted FAT32.

When a new Fedora is released, I just wipe everything out, install the
new OS, then restore the few data chunks that I care about
(~/.evolution, ~/.mozilla and stuff like that). /av survives unformatted
if it's too loaded at the moment of upgrade, although I try to avoid
that. And /win of course has it's own separate destiny.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/