Re: unbelievably stupid mistake - i broke /usr/lib need help

> Next I would probably realize that not everything was there and what was
> there was not exactly what was there to start with. I would then decide
> whether or not I wanted to spend the next few months dinking with it or if
> it was time to backup all of my personal data, format and start over... I
> would probably then start over...

This is a classic example of why a well thought out partitioning
scheme is very useful.  When I first started using the linux os I
hosed a /lib directory once and I was still stuck in the windows world
of everything in one partition.

1997 to now and I always have a / /home /usr /var and /usr/local partition.

If this happened to me I would just reinstall without formatting the
/home partition and I would not have to think twice about.

The amount of time that I would waste trying to figure out what is
missing is not worth it.

I have found that it is faster to do a reinstall of the system than to
backup an entire system and then restore.  I only back up my /home
directory and my name and web server configurations along with
/var/www/html.

John

--
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
http://counter.li.org