Re: unbelievably stupid mistake - i broke /usr/lib need help

This is a tough one. I am assuming you have no backup...

Were this to happen to me I would probably go to another box and download a trial of VmWare. I would then install FC4 and apply maintenance and install of the software that I had installed. I would then copy /usr/lib over to the broken box.

Next I would probably realize that not everything was there and what was there was not exactly what was there to start with. I would then decide whether or not I wanted to spend the next few months dinking with it or if it was time to backup all of my personal data, format and start over... I would probably then start over...