Re: Having two sound card in a machine

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 09:22 -0500, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 January 2006 23:50, Florin Andrei wrote:
> > You can also get a cheap USB MIDI-only interface that's supported on
> > Linux.
>
> Any specific suggestion here ? URL, maybe ? I browsed newegg.com and haven't
> came up with anything obvious.

I know for a fact that the M-Audio stuff is supported, I use the
Midisport 4x4 and it works very well.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=usbmidiinterfaces

Assuming you get an M-Audio, you need to install a firmware loader, to
load the M-Audio firmware when the system boots up:

http://usb-midi-fw.sourceforge.net/

The loader needs a piece of the Windows driver, so you may have to boot
Windows once to extract that piece first and put it on your Linux
partition, but after that it's a Linux-only affair.
Once the firmware is loaded, that's it, there's no service running or
anything, it's clean. In fact, once the firmware is installed, the OS
will do everything for you.
Mail me privately if you need help with that, although the README file
should be very clear.

There should be plenty of other USB MIDI interfaces that are supported,
but like I said, better ask on the LAU mailing list or on alsa-user.

Street price for the M-Audio Uno should be around $30 - $40 but I
imagine there might be even cheaper 1x1 interfaces, other brands, if 1x1
is all you need.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOUNO

--
Florin Andrei