Re: Having two sound card in a machine

Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

Hello,
Is it possible to have two sound card in a machine ? Why, you ask ? Well my motherboard has a built in one (with VIA 8237) that works allright. Unfortunately the it does not have a MIDI interface, which I need to capture MIDI from an instrument. I am thinking to get one of the cheapo soundcard ( < $10 ) just for the MIDI interface, so the sound from that card is probably not very good. So basically what I want is to use my current soundcard to play sound, and a second soundcard to capture MIDI (probably using Alsa too). Is that even possible? Any hints or pointer on how to configure Alsa to do something like that (for example if the two cards require different driver) ? Other suggestions are welcomed too.
Thanks a lot.

RDB
Sure, works fine here. I've got a VIA 8237 and a PCI card with a Yamaha chipset.
No ALSA config required, of course your setup may be different.
Also, if you shop around on the web, you can find a Soundblaster live for < $10. It will definitely sound better than the Via chip.

Regards,

John