Re: kino, is it working ?

On Thursday 05 January 2006 8:05 am, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> On Thursday 05 January 2006 12:44, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> > > See if Cinelerra is any better:
> > >
> > > http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3
>
> Well, being busy for some time now I can tell that dvgrab can capture my
> streams. Cinelerra can read the streams and render them into some other
> format (but none useful to me it seems or I can't find how). Kino still
> doesn't work and I think that's going to be a long story before it will
> work on my system.
> Cinelerra can't capture because of some stupid naming issue. It
> complaines /dev/dv1394 is a directory (which is true :-) ). It expects the
> device file there and it seems hard coded in cinelerra (as far as I can
> tell).
>
> LiVES (http://lives.sourceforge.net/) was actually the only application
> that captured straight away from the DV camera. Unfortunately all frames
> are mixed up :-(
> Anyway, this application might have some future. I do like it's straight
> forward interface ("file->import from device -> Import from Firewire
> camera", how much clearer can it get ?).
> Cinelerra is a very nice application but perhaps a bit too much for the
> average user who just want to convert their DV tapes to DVD with a bit of
> editing.
> Previously I had experienced that kino worked very well (older version) on
> my 32bit laptop. Now it's a straight no-go on my 64bit machine.
>
> If there are any other tools, I'd be interested to hear about them.
>
> Regards,
> Marcel
I, too, am watching your travails with interest. I'm a video editor with a
full fledged production studio and hope to be able to use Linux as my main
workstation in the next two years, before the full transition to HD becomes
mandatory/necessary. Please post any successes you have. I can't offer any
suggestions. I currently have Kino, Cinelerra, and Jahshaka running on my FC4
boxes, but was never able to get kdenlive to run. But, I'm not on a 64 box...
I am thoroughly tired of the endless amounts of money we have to spend on "W"
software, so I watch these projects with interest.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA