Re: livna NVIDIA drivers - packaging problem?

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 20:02 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 04.01.2006, 13:40 -0500 schrieb Robert P. J. Day:
> > >
> > > Mixing RPM and non-RPM software is usually a bad idea.
> >
> > not always.  nvidia's been pretty good about providing downloadable
> > and runnable files that install drivers on FC systems with a minimum
> > of fuss.
>
> You mean the installer that overwrites files that again are overwritten
> during the next Mesa/Xorg-Update? Or that don't work if you change the
> graphic card to one from another verndor?

Please be a little more explicit in your complaints.

Changing from one manufacturers (nvidia) chipset to another (ati) has
always been a problem and hardly is any different whether you are using
the drivers from the livna repo or directly from the manufacturer. You
always have to tell X what the video card is (in some way).

AFAIK the current nvidia driver does not overwrite anything unless you
tell it to, and then only the xorg.conf file. (I have been using it
since they first released it).  The rpm is more likely to do what you
indicate without warning.

The only file in X that needs changed for that driver is xorg.conf and
it needs modified whenever a different brand video card is chosen,
regardless of whether you use the system config tools
(systen-config-display) or do it manually.  In fact, the only way I can
get my monitor to work correctly is to manually edit that file to set
the proper refresh rates.