latest NVIDIA driver problem

I have a fully updated system with an nvidia FX 5500 video card.
It was working well with the Nvidia 1.0-7676 driver on every kernel I
have used.

I recently updated to the latest driver (1.0-8174) and have a problem I
cannot get around.
My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 213T which only works at the highest
resolution (1600x1200) when running at 60hz VertRefresh.
Even though the xorg.conf file limits the refresh to that, when booting
with the 8174 driver the monitor sees the refresh as "not optimal".
I go back to the 7676 driver and the same xorg.conf file works
perfectly.

Note that I have another system with an older nvidia card and the newer
driver works perfectly there.

Has anybody else seen similar results and/or know of a way to get it to
work properly?
Should I just depend on a response from nvidia to get that resolved?

TIA
Jeff