Re: Ergonomic Keyboards for Linux

KIMARIO FAWKES wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> I would like to buy a Ergonomic keyboard for my dual boot (Windows and
> FC3). I saw alot of keyboards that would work with windows, but no
> linux except for cherry(too expensive).  Any sugguestions?(I just
> don't want to buy a new cool keyboard and have driver issues). Also if
> anyone could recommend a good wireless Ergonomic  keyboard  that would
> work with both windows and FC3  that would be better. What are the
> reviews on bluetooth keyboards and FC3....Upgrade'n to FC4 is not a
> problem if the keyboard requires.Thanks

Nearly any keyboard that works on Windows will work on Linux, including
ergonomic and wireless ones.  I personally use a Logitech cordless
keyboard at home with no problems.  The only thing you might have to
play with would be Internet or media keys, such as "Home", "Shopping",
or volume keys.  These may require a little configuration, but all of
the normal keys will work fine.

Nearly all keyboards use a standard protocol, and so do not actually
require specialized drivers in order to work properly.  This is true of
both PS/2 and USB keyboards.  They send the same set of codes to the
computer, and so Windows, Linux, DOS, etc., are all able to use them.
Extended keys, like the Internet and media keys, send codes that are not
entirely standardized, and so the computer must know how to map those
keys.  Fedora Core includes configuration files for a number of
keyboards, so you would only have to specify which keyboard you have in
the appropriate configuration utility to get the extra keys working.  If
your keyboard doesn't yet have a configuration file, you could probably
create one yourself.  You can Google for instructions for doing this, if
you need to, or bring your questions back here.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64@xxxxxxxxx

http://www.n-man.com/