Re: Ripping a CD to MP3

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 18:06 -0600, Steven Stern wrote:
> I've installed gstreamer-plugins-mp3. I've followed the instructions
> from FedoraFAQ but I have two problems with Sound Juicer:
>
> 1.  The MP3 settings don't appear in its preferences
> 2.  It doesn't get any info about the CD. (CD Player, however, gets the
> title and all track names.)
>
> I'm without a clue right now.

This was *just* discussed.
The thread is called "An mp3 ripping yarn"

Credit to Dan Hensley :

-------
If you need to store tracks in the MP3 format (for example, because your
portable music player only supports MP3 and not Ogg Vorbis), you will
need to create a new profile. To do this, run
gnome-audio-profiles-properties, press New and name it MP3. Then press
Edit and set GStreamer Pipeline to
audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc, the File
Extenstion to mp3, and check Active. Then start Sound Juicer and select
the MP3 format.

This profile uses the LAME MP3 encoder, so you will need to have the
GStreamer LAME plugin installed.
-------

IMHO it's ugly and needs to be done better, but it does work.
-=-
Me - I rip in cli using cdparanoia - and then encode to flac/mp3/ogg
(whatever) via cli.