Re: Why questions don't get answered, or "No, I've already RTFM, tell me the answer!"

--- Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 19:04 -0800, Antonio Olivares
> wrote:
> >
> > --- Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> the
> > > appropriate flavour
> of
> > > the EL clones such as
> occasional
> > > breakage, use Fedora
> > > help refine things,
> rawhide?)
> > > is for you.
> > >
> > > But realistically, what people want is
> close-to-the
> > > latest plus
> > > some stuff that none of the above includes, like
> > > mplayer, xine,
> > > xmms with mp3 support, java, flash and the
> browser
> > > plugins for
> > > them, etc., so you want FC3 or FC4 with all
> current
> > > updates
> > > and a bunch of 3rd party packages.   It can be
> done,
> > > but
> > > it's not necessarily pretty.
> > >

> > Very well said.  Users want a product that just
> works
> > straight out without having to "search, yum their
> way,
> > compile their way", etc with all the great stuff
> > "
> > mplayer, xine,
> >  xmms with mp3 support, java, flash and the
> browser
> >  plugins for
> >  them, etc.
> > "
> >
> > and since Red Hat is "releasing"/"has released"
> Fedora
> > on its own, why not have all these things within
> > Fedora.  No more trademarks/patents other
> difficulties
> > to get what users want.  What is holding Fedora
> Back
> > now?
> ----
> licensing restrictions - which of course has nothing
> to do with Red
> Hat's involvement or non-involvement with Fedora.
> ----

Ok!  We can still get all the goodies, no problem a
little bit of work.  I can live with that, but other
people want the cake and eat it too.  Thank you for
the explanation.  I thought that the Fedora Foundation
upon release from Red Hat's grip, would allow for
inclusion of the programs that could not be added
because of licensing issues.

> > By the way is this the longest thread of the year,
> or
> > will it be Peter Whalley, petsupermarket.uol.br
> > Enquiring minds want to know.
> ----
> who cares?

Just a curiosity!  No damage or hard feelings
intended.  :)