Re: Disk defragmenter in Linux

John Summerfied wrote:
> Since the discussions regarding fragmentation on ext3 filesystems
> was pretty long running. I decided to try filefrag /usr/bin/* |sort
> |grep 'would be' and the output showed a lot of fragmentation. One
> of the files was up to 45. /usr/bin/postgres: 45 extents found,
> perfection would be 1 extent I outputted the findings to a file
> which ended up being around 75 kb The log files didn't seems to be
> as fragmented as I expected. Another pecularity was that some of
> the files did not seem to be things that I use much. Another
> excerpt from the query. /usr/bin/php: 52 extents found, perfection
> would be 1 extent /usr/bin/php-cgi: 62 extents found, perfection
> would be 1 extent
>
> My system is running development. This of course means frequently
> updated programs. Checking usr/lib showed fragmentation also.
> /usr/lib/libXm.so.4: 48 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
> /usr/lib/libXm.so.4.0.0: 48 extents found, perfection would be 1
> extent .. /usr/lib/libxvidcore.so.4: 49 extents found, perfection
> would be 1 extent
>
> I guess fragmentation is present on the system and probably needs
> addressed or a less fragmented filesystem type needs implemented.

 extent ^= fragmentation. On filesystems I know, extents can be on
 consecutive areas (sectors, blocks, tracks) of disk. You need better
 info than that to see whether you have a fragmentation problem.
 filefrag will give it to you, but it needs a wrapper to make sense to
 Mere Mortals.

Thanks, I did not take into account the possibility the file would be in series and read in order. Fragmentation is not of major importance to me at present. Thanks for pointing out the additional factors that need consideration.

 fwiw summer@bilby ~]$ sudo filefrag /usr/sbin/postfix
 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm* /usr/sbin/postfix: 1 extent found
 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.a: 1 extent found /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.so: 1
 extent found /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.so.2: 1 extent found
 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.so.2.1: 1 extent found
 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.so.3: 1 extent found
 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.so.3.0.2: 1 extent found
 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.a: 1 extent found /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so: 2
 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent
 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6: 2 extents found, perfection would be 1
 extent /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6.2: 2 extents found, perfection
 would be 1 extent /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmuu.a: 1 extent found
 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmuu.so: 1 extent found
 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmuu.so.1: 1 extent found
 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmuu.so.1.0: 1 extent found

 This system was installed as Fedora Core 3, and all these package
 subsequently replaced (with force where necessary) with packages I
 built myself from RHEL 4 source. That is, they have all been updated
 after installation.

Thanks for the comparison. The fact that you brought your system up from FC3 to RHEL home brewed edition is interesting also.

 Checking lib and bin directories under /usr, I see no more than three
 extents.

 I note my file placement's different from yours.

Running rawhide vs.  RHEL 4 might be the difference in comparison.
Jim