Re: Easiest Way To Get ULi Ethernet DriverWorking

Robert L. Cochran writes:

However, this module has been in the Fedora kernels since at least the 1637 release. Can I just download a new kernel, install it with 'rpm -ivh', reboot and get my ethernet running. Then I can do a 'yum update' to download/update all the other things.

'rpm -ivh' will check for any missing dependencies. If it goes ahead and installs the kernel, you're all set.

If this is correct, I'll need just the updated kernel and glibc packages, right? Those will satisfy all the dependencies for the moment?

Correct. If the new kernel requires a glibc update, install the glibc update with rpm -U, then the new kernel with rpm -i.

Or would it be easier to compile the module alone and hope the ULI device requires no other kernel changes?

Nope, this is much more complicated.