FC4 up2date fatal RPM install error

I just tried to run up2date on my FC4 system and got an error during installation:

There was a fatal RPM install error.  The message was:
There was a rpm unpack error installing the package: kde-i18n-Polish-3.5.0-0.1.fc4

I selected the only available option - "OK" and it exited up2date (it didn't just abort installing that one package). So I tried to run up2date again and it found one new package to download (presumably one that was changed during the 2 hours I had been running the previous up2date). It installed that new package, but didn't continue installing other downloaded packages where it left off. Now I suspect I have a half updated system. Some of the packages that were updated no longer work... for example thunderbird no longer works. How do I recover from this?

Thanks...

                         David

PS - It seems like I get errors every few times I run up2date... every 6 months or so they're bad enough that my install is no longer useful. Fortunately that's about how often new releases come out, so I usually just install the new release. But I think it's about time I learn whatever magic is required to overcome up2date problems. Do I just have bad up2date karma or is it as fragile as it seems to me? My computer at work and my computer at home are both currently broken wrt up2date. :(