Easiest Way To Get ULi Ethernet DriverWorking

I have a chicken-and-egg problem. My new FC4 system has the 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp kernel which does not have the uli526x.ko driver needed to enable the motherboard's onboard ethernet. So I can't update the system via yum quite yet. I found the driver source needed on the ULI website, and I read the instructions for compiling new modules in the FC4 release notes.

The ULI doocumentation makes me think I need to specifically recompile the kernel to support ULi devices.

However, this module has been in the Fedora kernels since at least the 1637 release. Can I just download a new kernel, install it with 'rpm -ivh', reboot and get my ethernet running. Then I can do a 'yum update' to download/update all the other things.

If this is correct, I'll need just the updated kernel and glibc packages, right? Those will satisfy all the dependencies for the moment?

Or would it be easier to compile the module alone and hope the ULI device requires no other kernel changes?

Thanks

Bob Cochran