Re: Device nodes (Manually Created )are removed at boot -time

--- Parameshwara Bhat <peebhat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> My modem driver-needed to be built from
> source-created device nodes like
> /dev/slamr0 ,/dev/slusb0.When I rebooted I found
> these nodes cleared and
8> the daemon slmodemd dead.

Use  as superuser
$ su -
psswd ******
run
# ungrab-winmodem
# modprobe slamr
# cp /dev/slamr0 /etc/udev/devices  and/or
# cp /dev/slusb0 /etc/udev/devices

> I also need to install modules ungrab-winmodem and
> slamr in that order and
> I have put them in /etc/modprobe.conf in that
> order.If the order is
> reversed,slamr is grabbed by the kernel.But on
> rebooting,I found in the
> messages slamr grabbed by the kernel.Obviuosly,
> module slamr got loaded
> first.
>
> It appears there is some process earlier which loads
> slamr module prior to
> the processing of /etc/modprobe.conf.

You do not need to include it in /etc/modprobe.conf.
It is not needed with kernels > 2.6.

> The sequence I want is,
> 1.Load ungrab module
> 2.load slamr module
> 3.run init process /etc/init.d/slmodemd
>
> This used to occur in this sequence in FC1 through
> FC2. I am having
> persistent problem in FC4.
>
> My knowledge of Boot process is not well enough to
> figure out what's going
> wrong.

Things changed a bit with ungrab-winmodem kernels >
2.6.10, and udev since FC3.  Autoloading of drivers
changed somewhat.  Try to use the script that follows.
 In case you have trouble, please send another email.

> Thanks,
>
> Parameshwara Bhat
>
> --

Modify the following /etc/init.d/slmodem, to suit your
needs.

[olivares@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/init.d/slmodemd
#!/bin/sh
#
# slmodemd:    Starts the SmartLink Modem Daemon
#
# chkconfig: 345 90 10
SmartLink Modem driver
# processname: slmodemd
# config: /etc/sysconfig/slmodem

# Source function library.
. /etc/init.d/functions

prog=slmodemd
RETVAL=0

# Default configuration
SLMODEMD_DEVICE=slamr0
SLMODEMD_COUNTRY=USA

# Source configuration
CONFIG=/etc/sysconfig/$prog
if [ -f $CONFIG ]; then
        . $CONFIG
        # override default group and permissions if
defined in $CONFIG;
        # other valid options also can be put into
SLMODEMD_OPTS variable
        [ "$GROUP" ] && SLMODEMD_OPTS="$SLMODEMD_OPTS
--group=$GROUP"
        [ "$PERMS" ] && SLMODEMD_OPTS="$SLMODEMD_OPTS
--perm=$PERMS"
fi

# uncomment this if you want this feature (if
necessary edit module pattern):
# do not try to start on a kernel which does not
support it
# grep -q 'slamr\..*o' /lib/modules/`uname
-r`/modules.dep || exit 0

start() {
        cat /proc/modules | grep 'ungrab-winmodem'
>/dev/null || {
          echo -n "Ungrabbing winmodem from kernel ...
"
          modprobe ungrab-winmodem && echo "done." ||
{
            echo "failed."
            exit -1
          }
        }
        modprobe slamr
        rmmod slamr
        sleep 3
        cat /proc/modules | grep 'slamr' >/dev/null ||
{
          echo -n "Loading SmartLink Modem driver into
kernel ... "
          modprobe slamr && echo "done." || {
            echo "failed."
            exit -1
          }
        }
        echo -n "Starting SmartLink Modem driver for
$SLMODEMD_DEVICE: "
        $prog </dev/null >/dev/null 2>/dev/null \
            --country=$SLMODEMD_COUNTRY $SLMODEMD_OPTS
/dev/$SLMODEMD_DEVICE &
        RETVAL=$?
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && success $"$prog startup"
|| failure $"$prog startup"
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch
/var/lock/subsys/$prog
        return $RETVAL
}

stop() {
        echo -n "Shutting down SmartLink Modem driver:
"
        killproc $prog
        RETVAL=$?
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f
/var/lock/subsys/$prog
        return $RETVAL
}

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)
        start
        ;;
  stop)
        stop
        ;;
  status)
        status $prog
        RETVAL=$?
        ;;
  restart|reload)
        stop
        start
        RETVAL=$?
        ;;
  condrestart)
        if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/$prog ]; then
                stop
                start
                RETVAL=$?
        fi
        ;;
  *)
        echo "*** Usage: $prog
{start|stop|status|restart|condrestart}"
        exit 1
esac

exit $RETVAL

[olivares@localhost ~]$