Device nodes (Manually Created )are removed at boot -time

Hello List,

My modem driver-needed to be built from source-created device nodes like /dev/slamr0 ,/dev/slusb0.When I rebooted I found these nodes cleared and the daemon slmodemd dead.

I also need to install modules ungrab-winmodem and slamr in that order and I have put them in /etc/modprobe.conf in that order.If the order is reversed,slamr is grabbed by the kernel.But on rebooting,I found in the messages slamr grabbed by the kernel.Obviuosly, module slamr got loaded first.

It appears there is some process earlier which loads slamr module prior to the processing of /etc/modprobe.conf.

The sequence I want is,
1.Load ungrab module
2.load slamr module
3.run init process /etc/init.d/slmodemd

This used to occur in this sequence in FC1 through FC2. I am having persistent problem in FC4.

My knowledge of Boot process is not well enough to figure out what's going wrong.

Thanks,

Parameshwara Bhat