Re: Printer duplexing - HOLIP curiosity question??

Mike McCarty wrote:
William Case wrote:

Hi;

I am just now going to download HPLIP.

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 22:12 -0500, William Case wrote:

Hi David;

No I don't have HPLIP.  I'll download it tomorrow.  One of my problems
was that CUPS had the HP psc 1300 driver.  I applied the psc 1310 driver
and everything (except duplexing) was working again. I don't know what
happened there.  I had a burp while I was updating CUPS this afternoon,
or I could have inveterately changed the driver while I was playing
around.

s/inveterately/inadvertently/ -- always be careful when using a spell
checker.

In any case, I have had enough for today.  Sourceforge.net has
instructions for installing HPLIP in fedora core 4.  I'll use them.

Thanks for your trouble.

But what is HPLIP?  I've read the release notes etc. on SourceForge, but
what does HPLIP replace? -- my psc 1310 driver. Or, is it a new set of
drivers that is equivalent to the Windows drivers.  Does it give me
access to other tools like scanning (+ sane).  As a user did you notice
any significant changes to the operation of CUPS or your printer?

Frankly, I've got the same questions. I've heard a few times about
HPLIP, but nowhere have I seen a list of features. The website for
it has something which claims to be a list of features, but which
is really just a changelog. So, although I downloaded it the other
day, I haven't built and installed it. I got HPIJS from HP, and
installed that months ago. I've been satisfied with the driver
per se, but not with not having a reasonable access to the features
of the printer I use.

Now, FC2 came with HPIJS, and the default install was great. But I
wanted more of the features available via the toolbox under Windows,
and the ability to do two-sided (non-duplexed) printing. So I got
the latest HPIJS from HP. But no extra features.

I don't own a scanner, so I don't need that I/F. I don't use a
digital camera, so I don't need special I/F for that. What I
have is a printer I want to use, and use all its features.

I wonder just what, really, is in HPLIP, and whether what it
has can be installed incrementally, or will it just eat a lot
of disc and memory.

Mike

HPLIP is the next generation driver from HP, it moves on from HPIJS and HPOJ,you cannot use HPLIP and HPOJ on the same system to many conflicts. I use Cups to configure and NOT s-c-printer[-gui] I have no problem with [x]sane or copying [PSC-2110],as for features I know little but there is a 'toolbox' with cartridge align. ink state [full/empty] current print job.

   david