Re: amd .vs intel....

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 09:34, Robin Laing wrote:
> Claude Jones wrote:
> > On Monday 12 December 2005 4:53 pm, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> >

> > The funniest thing about that link, at least when I visited it, is the
> > Flash ad offering a $50,000 reward for turning in illegal software
> > users.... To get to that ad staring me in the face from a link on this
> > list - there's some irony there.
> > That ad placement sort of says something about THG, too...
>
> I guess I missed the ad as I tend to ignore most ad's and block most
> pop-ups.  Natural ignorance. :)
>
> Of course I don't support software piracy when you can get it for free
> with Linux or open source software.  Okay so it seems to be a back
> handed way of getting Linux onto more computers.

I was speaking to the irony - you had to see the ad to get the visual gestalt.

I don't support software piracy whether or not you can get it for free with
Linux - I work for a software company that writes code to implement features
missing in Windows.

I just prefer the open-source model (and I can see a place for both models
co-existing side by side) and am gravitating to it for my non-work use. Now,
I'm even using Linux at work all the time to troubleshoot problematic Windows
machines ;-)

The Windows licensing model as increasingly being followed by the downstream
vendors for Windows software has reached levels of the absurd - the talk of
implementing code into the hardware to check your licensing for example. Or
the recent Sony root-kit scandal. Or the predatory practices of companies
like Symantec. But, I'm digressing....

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA