Re: Moving HD from boxen A to boxen B

Louis Lagendijk wrote:
On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 01:29 -0500, M. Lewis wrote:

1) is it better to tell Kudzu to forget the old configurations and use the new configurations? I would like a path to get back to the old machine should the move to the new machine prove to be too much of a challenge for him.

I have found Kudzu to reliably detect and configure new/changed
hardware, let it do its thing. The only problem normally is the network
configuration (if you do not use DHCP). Make note of the config. and let
your friend re-enter that once the machine is up.

If you need a path to get back: make a tar of the /etc directory
tar cvzf /root/oldetc.tar.gz /etc

 so you can restore the whole tree in case of problems:
cd /
tar xvzf /root/oldetc.tar.gz

2) assuming X does not work due to the new video card, how is the best way to overcome this?

I would guess that kudzu handles this well..

3) anything else that I might be overlooking ?

Don't do any of the above if you do not have a backup of anything
important on the machine. Things can go wrong really badly....

Thanks,
Mike

regards,
Louis

Thanks Louis. Points well taken. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Mike

--

 No line available at 300 baud.
  00:25:01 up  7:34,  4 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.23, 0.56

 Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org