Re: Moving HD from boxen A to boxen B

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 01:29 -0500, M. Lewis wrote:
> I'm trying to help a friend (remotely) move a working FC4 installation
> to a new boxen due to memory limitations on the old machine. My friends
> computer knowledge is practically nil. He does follow instructions
> rather well, otherwise I wouldn't attempt this.
>
> I know when we move it and bring it up (after of course configuring the
> BIOS) we will encounter some challenges.
>
> Primarily, numerous warnings from Kudzu about NICs, video card, maybe
> motherboard, etc.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) is it better to tell Kudzu to forget the old configurations and use
> the new configurations? I would like a path to get back to the old
> machine should the move to the new machine prove to be too much of a
> challenge for him.

Kudzu no longer prompts for acceptance. It is smart enough now to handle
the changes itself.  And by the same token, if it does not succeed on
the newer box, just putting the disk in the older box should
automatically move the hw config back.

> 2) assuming X does not work due to the new video card, how is the best
> way to overcome this?
Boot to a text screen then manually set the x driver to vesa for
bringup. Then use the system-config-display command to detect and
configure it for the new video card.

> 3) anything else that I might be overlooking ?

Not for the initial boot AFAICT.  I have done similar with no problems
several times.