Re: SSH

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 01:47 +0000, Andy Pieters wrote:
> On Friday 09 December 2005 01:39, Mike McCarty wrote:
> > Well, you've got a problem. I'd try to get physical access and
> > use a KNOPPIX boot disc, and use that to set the passwords.
> >
> I'd like that but how can I boot knoppix on that?  The only devices I can put
> on it are network cables and those harddisks that don't use a standard ide
> interface.
>
> With kind regards

If that is a standard 2.5" laptop drive it is easy to attach an adapter
converter and then directly to the IDE cable.
You can put the drive in another machine, mount the appropriate
partition and edit the /etc/shadow (or /etc/passwd if shadowing is not
used) file on that drive to remove the unknown password so it can then
be reset.