Re: Installation Question

U C this is all legacy talk, no more relevant in present day world.
  Now days One can have two 160 GB HDD at the same value of money.

Even if U try it today all your files use fat32 standard including swap in which case U may struggle getting a contagious file.

On 12/2/05, James Wilkinson <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Anil Kumar Sharma wrote:
> Linux can work from with in a partition having FAT32, and swap space can as
> well be a file on the same partition.
> Definitely Linux will work from D:\ (fat32).
> But Linux from C:\ (fat32) will depend on the capability of boot loader, you
> have option of grub, lilo and wins multi-boot option among others.

Have you actually tried this with Fedora? Actually putting the root
partition on FAT32? I'm very dubious that it would work.

Yes I remember having once used some very old (1996 or 1997) flavour of Redhat on fat, because at that time HDD space was as short as
1GB or less and playing with partitions was an illegal game.

Are you talking about creating a huge file within the FAT partition, and
creating an ext3 filesystem in the large file, or are you talking about
storing the files directly in the FAT filesystem?

No.

As FAT32 doesn't support hardlinks, user and group ownership, device
nodes, or a bunch of other things Linux expects from it's root
filesystem.

SO U C the disadvantages.

Creating an ext3 filesystem in a single large FAT32 file works (up to
the limits of FAT32 files: I think it's 4GB off-hand), but I don't
believe Fedora supports installing to such a filesystem. I understand
some other distributions do.

 for FAT32 it is 4GB  <-- this is from horse's mouth or is it ...

Linux can read and write FAT32, no problem -- just not as its main
filesystem.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "The US Air Force is removing harmful "greenhouse"
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | gases from the cooling systems of intercontinental