Re: Installation Question

Linux can work from with in a partition having FAT32, and swap space can as well be a file on the same partition.
Definitely Linux will work from D:\ (fat32).
But Linux from C:\ (fat32) will depend on the capability of boot loader, you have option of grub, lilo and wins multi-boot option among others.
Best option is to run Linux from a separate partition with native formatting and swap on a separate dedicated partition.
There are many options to improve performance and to customize to your needs. Google is every ones' friend.

But why ride a bicycle when U have a Ducati, except for burning the calories within your body. C:\ Linux + Win will burn you out up to your brains along with your calories.

In any case don't shy the why - just ask.