Re: Installation Question

Ali Helmy wrote:
> So this basically means i can install it without burning the images to CDs,
> but how do i get the system to boot from a CD that is actually an image
> mounted by emulator software? I mean, so i mount image CD-1 on daemon tools,
> then what? just install?

As has been mentioned, you'll need something like a boot CD, a boot USB
disk (as mentioned), or, in emergency, boot floppies (you need to
download these seperately: see http://www.fedorafaq.org/#floppyinstall ).

You may need to fiddle with your BIOS settings to get the system to boot
from your chosen media.

To clarify: you don't run the install from within Windows. You don't
mount the DVD image anywhere in Windows. Fedora can do that for itself.

Once you've booted, you'll find yourself answering several questions.
See http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc4/ for the
step-by-step guide: it will show you what you will face.

At
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc4/ch-other-install-methods.html
choose "Hard Drive".
At
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc4/sn-installing-from-harddrive.html
choose the partition holding your install images, and the directory on
the partition.

So if you only have a C:\ drive in Windows, and the images are in
C:\FC4, then you'd either enter /dev/hda1 or /dev/sda1 (depending on
your hardware: choose what's available), and "/FC4".

(Tip: make the directory something that's easy to type in!)

You will, of course, need some unformatted space or an unused partition
on the hard drive into which you can install Fedora. Free space in C:\
won't do.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james |     'Sir, they've taken Mr. Rimmer!'
@westexe.demon.co.uk  |     'Quick, let's get out of here before they bring