Re: Fwd: [Contributors] Microsoft Windows Is Offically Broken

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005, Jim Cornette wrote:

> Strong wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 2005-10-02 at 10:20 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> >

> >>Wordperfect 6 for Linux which was capable of running Windows 3.1 apps.
> >>believe the article is from 1997 timeframe though.
> >>

> >Is wordperfect not a text processor? How does it run an application?!
> >

> The concept  was  to load wordperfect under Linux. Also WordPerfect was
> working on a program that was able to run Microsoft applications under
> Linux. MicroSoft bought WordPerfect out and closed development on the
> project and stripped out the code WordPerfect developed for the feat.
> I was going to buy it when it came out. I believe there was a version of
> WordPerfect Linux that actually made it to the stores. I do not know
> whatever happened to the information on the web.
> I'll try WordPerfect Linux to see what comes up.
> What is a competent search engine? Google seems to be falling apart. It
> could not find the sun in midday now.

Word Perfect, when it was a standalone company, had a version of Word
Perfect (the software) for various Unix OS's, including Linux if I recall
correctly. Then Novell bought the company, and in the shakeup the product
fell behind MS Word/Office, although it became an Office suit in its own
right about that time. Under the original Caldera Linux product (rebranded
RH 3.25 or some such thing) I ran the Linux version of the office suite.
Corel bought the product, bringing more damage to the table as things got
moved yet again. As I recall, Corel was (and started?? did??)
compiling the whole office suite to run with Wine binaries, so in theory
you could either run under Windows or under Wine with the same binaries.
There was also some effort, as I recall, to port portions/the whole mess
to Java, but I think that was pretty still born.

FWIW, IMHO, Novell killed a great product and the last real agressive
customer sevice organization in consumer computing. The times I called WP
help, I may have waited online for some time, but the techs I spoke with
_knew_ the product, followed up, and spoke a brand of english I could
understand.  I was very sorry to see that service go away.

> Jim

If you think Education is expensive
Try Ignorance
                   Author Unknown