OpenLDAP in FC4: Certificate instructions refers to non-existing directory/files?

Hi Folks,

One of the things that made it exceedingly difficult to get LDAPS
running on FC4 (at least for me) was that the openssl version on
FC4 was "out of sync" with the LDAP How-To instructions explaining
how to create a self-signed certificate so that LDAP SSL can be made
to work.

In the many online LDAP setup instructions I have seen, the most
common on seem refer to the CA.sh file such as the link provided
below:

http://www.openldap.org/pub/ksoper/OpenLDAP_TLS_howto.html#6.1

But the version of openssl on FC4 does not have this directory:
/usr/share/ssl nor does: /usr/share/ssl/misc/CA.sh exist.

I also noted that openssl in FC4 now uses /etc/pki directory instead
of /etc/ssl (but I do see a /etc/ssh directory but is this the same as
/etc/pki?) but otherwise is different from the openssl version used in
FC3/2/1?  Perhaps this is not surprising but it does make it a bit
difficult to keep up with the changing trends.

So can anyone explain what the procedure is for creating a
self-signed certificate, how to properly setup LDAP for SSL/TLS
support at the client and server side? The link provided above talks
about client side certificates but it seems rather vague since it is
not clear how exactly a client certificate should be created or if
client certificates have to copied to other systems for which users
will need to have in order to successfully use the LDAPS server.

Finally, does  anyone supply their own CA avoiding "trusted"
CA sites such as Verisign/Thwait.etc.?  Is there really any
serious problems or risk by not using them as a trusted CA
source?

Thanks!
Dan