APM Blues

Hi Everyone,

I'm running FC on a Dell Inspiron 8200, Pentium 4-M 1.7 Ghz. I had been running FC1 and APM was working perfectly. In October I installed FC4, and now I can't get into standby. At startup I'm using the kernel parameters: acpi=off apm=on resume=force.

Here's what happens:

1. From the command line:
- Executing 'apm -S' as a normal user returns 'permission denied'. (OK, I can probably change permissions somewhere, but haven't looked into this yet because...) - Executing 'apm -S' as root returns me to a new prompt. After a few seconds a message comes up saying 'parameter out of range' and the machine does not go into standby.

2. Suspend button (runlevel 3):
- If I push the suspend button (Fn+Esc) while in runlevel 3 (no X), the machine does go into standby- once. When I resume the clock is set back 8 hours, but everything else seems OK. However, pushing suspend again has no effect.

3. Suspend button (runlevel5):
- If I push the suspend button while in X the machine suspends, but I only get a black screen on resume. I have to power of and restart.

Can anyone suggest what might be happening or where I should start looking? Has anyone seen similar behavioiur- and fixed it! I did look through the message logs, but these didn't provide any indication of what was going on.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Simon