Re: yum repos configured to use only ftp mirrors

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 08:30 -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> Get a civilized proxy server (SQUID?).

I have squid running on my network, but I find it causes it's own
problems (see below).  I'm on dial-up, so I liked the idea of having a
caching proxy so that I can quickly fetch the same stuff on different
terminals.

Multi-tab browsing with Firefox becomes unusable.  The browser locks up
while waiting for one tab to finish getting what it's getting through
the proxy.  You can't start something coming in, then read and browse
around what's in another tab.

The Windows boxes can't update AVG through it, they time out and fail
after the first part of the download.

Then there's the dumb websites which are cache hostile, anyway.

I read messages from the public lists.