Re: Linux keyboard issues

Tim:
>> 1. Every now and then it'll repeat keys like mad
>>
>> 2. And at other times it'll decide that I cannot type anything unless I
>> hold the shift key down.
>>
>> If I do something like open a system preferences which gets me to type
>> into a pop-up password gadget, then I can type.  If I flick over to
>> another virtual terminal (non-X) it works.  It's just within X
>> applications on *my* login.

James Wilkinson:

> Not sure of exactly what your problem is, but are you saying that if
> you create a test user, then the test user doesn't have the problem?

Seems that way, and the same for another user already on the system.  I
can log back and out between them, and get normal/broken keyboard
behaviour.

> If so, the quickest fix is probably to log in at a virtual terminal as
> root, move your home directory somewhere else, and create a new home
> directory with the right permissions.

The home directory's got the right *permissions*, and that'd involve an
awful lot of other mucking around (restoring all the other
customisations without restoring the one causing the problem).  So it's
not a "quick" fix, unfortunately.

> It will probably be one of the .gnome* or .gconf* files or directories,
> in that case.

Hmm, I'd have guessed that too.  But it doesn't really help me much,
until I've got more idea about specifically where to look.

>> What are "third level choosers"?  What're they for?
>> What's "super" keys for?
>> And what are "meta" keys for?
>> What are "groups" for?

> "Super" and "meta" are different keyboard modifiers ("qualifiers").
>
> There's never been a standard Unix keyboard, and the way the keyboards
> are labelled differ. IIRC, "super" on a PC keyboard maps to the Windows
> key, whereas it might map to (one of) the Amiga keys on an Amiga.

Does anything use super/meta/hyper keys?  I see ALT+ and CTRL+ shortcuts
listed in some application menus, I haven't noticed other types.

Can anybody shed any light on what "groups" referred to.  For instance,
the keyboard preferences lets you pick which keys change groups.  What's
that mean?

Thanks.

I read messages from the public lists.