Linux keyboard issues

Hi,

I've been having a few problems with one of my Linux PCs (FC4):

1. Every now and then it'll repeat keys like mad (so deleting one e-mail
deletes the lot -- an extreme problem!).  I ended up turning off key
repeat to avoid that, but that's a pain in other ways.

2. And at other times it'll decide that I cannot type anything unless I
hold the shift key down.  I can see that the keyboard is outputting
something, and the system is reacting (cursor blinking on the spot), but
I can't type any output.

If I do something like open a system preferences which gets me to type
into a pop-up password gadget, then I can type.  If I flick over to
another virtual terminal (non-X) it works.  It's just within X
applications on *my* login.

No amount of fiddling with keyboard preferences, logging in and out,
restarting X, seems to resolve this issue.  I'm at a loss at what to
look out for.

Also, looking through the keyboard preferences I find options that I
don't find any explanations to anywhere (guides on my PC, nor Googling
around for Linux keyboard use documentation).

What are "third level choosers"?  What're they for?
What's "super" keys for?
And what are "meta" keys for?
What are "groups" for?

I'm used to the idea of more than one qualifier key, coming from a
background involving computers like the Amiga, which gave you two system
qualifier (Amiga logo) keys for system hotkeys and application menu
shortcuts, alt keys for typing alternate characters, control keys for ye
olde terminal functions (bell, delete, break, etc.).  But I'm not sure
what Linux is using in what manner.

I read messages from the public lists.