Re: Arg, resolution problems on laptop/monitor

Hello Christopher,

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:23:35 -0600 "Christopher J. Bottaro" <cjbottaro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Hello,
> >> A while ago, I posted a question on to setup my FC3 install to detect if
> >> my laptop is plugged into a monitor and if so, use a certain
> >> resolution/modeline and if not, use another.  Someone suggested that I
> >> have both resolutions and modelines in my xorg.conf and simply use
> >> ctrl-alt-+ (or ctrl-shift-+ or whatever the combo is) to change
> >> resolutions based on
> >> if I'm using the monitor or not.  Well that didn't work for me.  The key
> >> combo doesn't do anything.
> >
> > Running a laptop? Take care: the + or - keys are the ones from the keypad,
> > and on a laptop the keypad keys might be emulated w/ another additional
> > key to press (on my Dell it's the Fn key -> CTRL+ALT+Fn+/ and
> > CTRL+ALT+Fn+;).
>
> Hey,
> Does it matter that I have a standard keyboard plugged into the laptop?  In
> that case, the '-' and '+' to be used are the ones next to the backspace
> key, right?

Should be yes.. if the XkbModel/XkbLayout correspond to your external
keyboard (see relevant InputDevice section in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf).

BTW, I just noticed that you were dealing w/ CTRL+SHIFT, and me w/ CTRL+ALT,
I wonder why those are different.

What video card do you have? Here w/ an ATI one (running fglrx drivers), it
cannot detect on-the-fly monitor plugs, I need to restart X. Also,
CTRL+ALT+key doesn't resize the desktop contents (panel, etc) but switch to a
more narrow windowing sight in the virtual desktop, probably not exactly what
you need?

Regards,

--
wwp