Re: MP3 not supported?

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 21 November 2005 10:50, Mark Jordan wrote:

the article mentioned using the Ogg or Flac codecs. Is there a tool
that easily converts mp3 to these formats? can ogg or flac be put onto
cds and played? when i means simple it would be nice to have something
like "convert foo.mp3 bar.ogg"

Flac is a lossless compression utility, but its output would not be
hugely smaller than a .wav.  I haven't used it but I'd expect it to be
indistinguishable from the original.

Ogg, OTOH, does have some losses, but for my ears, anything above a Q6
setting at encode time is indestinguishable from the original, and
generates file sizes comparable to mp3's at 128k, or smaller.  I can't
say that the 128k mp3 is even listenable, giveing me a very high
fatigue factor after 5 minutes or so.

So I think the statement that ogg is better than mp3 at any comparable
filesize is quit true.

From my experience, flac is ~25% smaller than the wave files for most music. I really have not looked that closely. I will have to look closer into this.

I use OGG but I feel with the cost of HD's today, why save as a lossy format. Also, this gives me a backup of my CD if it decides to fail. Convert back to wav and have a copy if ever needed.

I do agree with you that ogg is much better than mp3's in my own experience. I find that all the ogg files I have ripped seem to have a full dynamic range over any of the mp3's. Even when the mp3's have a higher bitrate.