Re: MP3 not supported?

Robin Laing wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:

From my experience, flac is ~25% smaller than the wave files for most music. I really have not looked that closely. I will have to look closer into this.

I use OGG but I feel with the cost of HD's today, why save as a lossy format. Also, this gives me a backup of my CD if it decides to fail. Convert back to wav and have a copy if ever needed.

I do agree with you that ogg is much better than mp3's in my own experience. I find that all the ogg files I have ripped seem to have a full dynamic range over any of the mp3's. Even when the mp3's have a higher bitrate.

To add to this.

Last night I checked some of the disks I ripped. I still have the original *.wav files and *.flac files. Size difference is ~20% smaller for flac over wav.

I also came across this article that says almost the same thing.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3232

It has a script on it for converting *.flac to *.ogg which I tried last night. It works with a couple warnings. Also the bitrate is lower than I would like for the *.ogg files. Of course they are only for the iRiver.