Re: Unofficial FC4.2 released

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 15:50 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 14 November 2005 14:21, Kam Leo wrote:
> >On 11/14/05, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> On Monday 14 November 2005 12:06, Kam Leo wrote:
> >>
> >> ----------
> >> #!/bin/bash
> >> /usr/bin/bittorrent-console FC4.2-Unofficial-i386.torrent &
> >> ----------
> >>
> >> To HKR: Is this incorrect usage?

Looks quite ok to me.

> >Azureus-2.3.0.4 Client sees a DHT tracker. However, there are no seeds
> > or peers connected to the swarm.
> >
> >>From the documentation I read regarding there has to be at least one
> > seed and of course a sufficient number of connected peers to keep the
> > torrent working when the original seed goes offline.
>
> This is what I'm current seeing on the cli that launched it:
> saving:         FC4.2-i386
> file size:      2,816,667,648 (3 GiB)
> percent done:   100.0
> time left:      seeding
> download to:    /usr/FC4/FC4.2-i386
> download rate:  0.0 KB/s
> upload rate:    0.0 KB/s
> share rating:   oo  (0.0 MB up / 0.0 MB down)
> seed status:    0 distributed copies (next: 1:0.0%)
> peer status:    0 seen now
>
> So whose moose got goosed?  Back shortly after I had completed the
> original dl, I rebooted to a new 2.6.14,2 kernel and restarted it.  At
> that time I left it run till there had been no activity for several
> hours, but it
> did show a share of 820 some megabytes then.
>
> Should I go get this new Azureus and try it instead?

Your client seems to work perfectly.

However, due to firewall restrictions and bittorrent protocol
there may be problems downloading for the individual that reported
problems.

This time around my seeding client is a little different spec than
before. FC4.1 is seeded on port 6881. FC4.2 is on 6882 and 6883.
The tracker is on port 6969.

Now, if the client can connect to the tracker he will get a list
of peers and seeds that he can attempt to connect to. After a while
other peers and seeds will also try to connect to this new client.

So, if you have opened port 6881-6889 only outbound (due to ex: NAT)
then you have to connect to the remote peers as they cannot connect
to you. If the situation is the same at the other end then they
cannot connect with each other.

Some bittorrent guides advice that you open port 6881 and
forget to mention other ports might be needed as well.

Also, peers are less likely to want to connect/send to you when you
have 0 blocks to offer them. This can make torrents slow-starters,
and this often confuses beginners.

In short: This topic is a typical p2p problem with regards to
firewalls, nat and of course ISP blocking.

BTW: My seeder is not behind NAT, and FW is open.

-HK