Re: xorg.conf gets reset on 2nd boot after a kernel update

On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 09:57 -0700, Dan Hensley wrote:

> > > The order of events was,
> > >
> > > 1.  yum update to install the new kernel.
> > > 2.  Reboot, runlevel 3.
> > > 3.  Run sh NVIDIA*.run to install the nVidia proprietary drivers.
> > > 4.  Verify xorg.conf.  No changes, everything is fine.
> > > 5.  telinit 5.  Everything is fine.
> > > 6.  Reboot.  My xorg.conf has been blasted, and I have to hit the Reset
> > > button to recover.
> > >

> > Have you installed the Livna Nvidia package at any time? It adds
> > to /etc/rc.d/init.d an nvidia-glx file which is one of the very few ways
> > that things would be changed on a reboot. If you have gone back to the
> > nvidia procedure, remove that package.
>
> I've never installed the Livna package.  I'm thinking of putting my own
> process init.d just to make sure the xorg.conf file stops getting
> clobbered, but that's just a bandaid.

My next suggestion would be to grep through all the /etc/init.d files
looking for something referencing xorg.conf. (Maybe make that all files
in the rc.d directory tree). There are not many other places that things
could be changed by a reboot.
A last minute thought. Immediately before the Reboot in step 6, verify
the integrity of xorg.conf. X probably keeps the file open, so if it is
rewritten by someone before this point, X will keep using the old
version until it is closed and reopened. Maybe try restarting X by
logging out and in, or with ctl-alt-backspace.
--
Graham Campbell <gc1111@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>