Re: xorg.conf gets reset on 2nd boot after a kernel update

Dan Hensley wrote:

Why is it that FC4 overwrites my xorg.conf on a kernel update?

The process for me is that I do a yum update, and install the new
kernel.  I then reboot into initlevel 3, update my nVidia driver, and
then telinit 5 for a normal login.  After I shut down and restart the
machine, my xorg.conf gets overwritten by a default file.  At this point
my keyboard and mouse do not work correctly for the graphical login, and
I have to hit the reset button on my computer and repeat the initlevel 3
and fix the xorg.conf file.

How do I keep FC4 from doing this incredibly annoying thing?
My guess is that you installed the proprietary Nvidia driver and did a yum update which included a new kernel got installed for which a equivalent Nvidia module was not available. The Nvidia package probably has some logic in it to check whether a equivalent module is available and if not rewrite xorg.conf to fallback on the Xorg open source 'nv' driver included in Fedora. There might be some packaging bug that does it incorrectly causing your X login to fail. You have to report that to the package maintainers if thats the case.

regards
Rahul