Re: xorg.conf gets reset on 2nd boot after a kernel update

> Dan Hensley wrote:
>
> >Why is it that FC4 overwrites my xorg.conf on a kernel update?
> >
> >The process for me is that I do a yum update, and install the new
> >kernel.  I then reboot into initlevel 3, update my nVidia driver, and
> >then telinit 5 for a normal login.  After I shut down and restart the
> >machine, my xorg.conf gets overwritten by a default file.  At this point
> >my keyboard and mouse do not work correctly for the graphical login, and
> >I have to hit the reset button on my computer and repeat the initlevel 3
> >and fix the xorg.conf file.
> >
> >How do I keep FC4 from doing this incredibly annoying thing?
> >

> My guess is that you installed the proprietary Nvidia driver and did a
> yum update which included a new kernel got installed for which a
> equivalent Nvidia module was not available. The Nvidia package probably
> has some logic in it to check whether a equivalent module is available
> and if not rewrite xorg.conf to fallback on the Xorg open source 'nv'
> driver  included in Fedora.  There might be some packaging bug that does
> it incorrectly causing your X login to fail. You have to report that to
> the package maintainers if thats the case.

The order of events was,

1.  yum update to install the new kernel.
2.  Reboot, runlevel 3.
3.  Run sh NVIDIA*.run to install the nVidia proprietary drivers.
4.  Verify xorg.conf.  No changes, everything is fine.
5.  telinit 5.  Everything is fine.
6.  Reboot.  My xorg.conf has been blasted, and I have to hit the Reset
button to recover.

Which package would I submit the bug report against?  Note that I used
the exact same procedure on my old computer running FC3, and I never had
this problem.

Dan