To upgrade, or not to upgrade? Fc3 to FC4

Well, I have been using fc3 since its final debut, and I love it. But, now that IBM has released the Cell SDK for FC4... I have to consider it.

I know I can use yum to update, but, how does that compare to a fresh install? I know with windows, doing an upgrade is, well... pretty crappy. But, i am unfamiliar with how linux works to this respect.

And... I had problems with gcc 4... is this something I can fix in the code? I had problems compiling things on fc4 when they worked fine on fc3 the last time I tried it on a seperate partition.

Thanks,
Martin