Re: Fedora Core CD not found

(snip)

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeff Vian
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 10:49 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: Fedora Core CD not found

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 10:15 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

Everyone,

I am trying to create a fresh install FC4 system on an E-Machine 500
with a 40gig hard drive and 256M of memory.  I just finished an
installation on a different E-machine with the same set up and the
installation was without incident.

On the affected machine I can put in the FC4 Disc #1 and boot to it
without difficulty, but the process fails on the 3rd question

pertaining

to installation method.  When I pick CDROM as the method there is a
pause and then an error message telling me that "The Fedora Core CD

was

not found in any CDROM drives".
(snip)

Hope is not too late for an answer.

The problem is with your CD unit. I had this problem myself on several
machines. Change it and then try again. Or, as you mentioned, you can
always perform an network installation.

Calin

Television -- the longest amateur night in history. -- Robert Carson

You could also try hdparm -d0 to turn off dma (temporarily); I've had troubles with Dell machines, and at least one e-machine as well. Turning off the dma during installs works for me.

"The two most common things in the	| Bill Perkins
 universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity."	| perk@xxxxxxx
					| programmer-at-large
		F. Zappa		| ALL assembly languages done here.