Re: The right sound driver

Paul Lemmons wrote:
Ok, I give up. I don't get it. I need some guidance when it comes to
configuring sound on Fedora Core 4.

It looks like I have 6 choices when I select the audio device in the KDE
Control Center. I have it set to Autodetect but really wonder if it did
a good job of detection.
The 6 choices I have are:

- Autodetect
- Threaded open sound
- Enlightened sound daemon
- No Audio Input/Output
- Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
- Open Sound System

If I read this list correctly there are really only 4 specific options
that will provide sound. I believe (not 100% sure) that I have
Autodetected the "ALSA" selection. I can get good sound but it appears
that only one application can make sound at a time.

Is there any choice that is better than others? I have done some
research and recognize "ALSA", "ESD" and "OSD" but do not know the
advantages and disadvantages of each.

If it helps, the types of applications that I run that I would like to
be able to access the sound system are:

- Music Player (rhythm box)
- VmWare 5.0 running WinXP and Fedora Rawhide
- Evolution (need to hear the alerts)

It would be really nice if all of these applications could cooperate and
all have the ability to produce sound at the same time.

My choice on my machine is always 1/ ALSA 2/OSD 3/ESD 4/Autodetect; Alsa is the default sound system.

  david