The right sound driver

Ok, I give up. I don't get it. I need some guidance when it comes to
configuring sound on Fedora Core 4.

It looks like I have 6 choices when I select the audio device in the KDE
Control Center. I have it set to Autodetect but really wonder if it did
a good job of detection.

The 6 choices I have are:

- Autodetect
- Threaded open sound
- Enlightened sound daemon
- No Audio Input/Output
- Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
- Open Sound System

If I read this list correctly there are really only 4 specific options
that will provide sound. I believe (not 100% sure) that I have
Autodetected the "ALSA" selection. I can get good sound but it appears
that only one application can make sound at a time.

Is there any choice that is better than others? I have done some
research and recognize "ALSA", "ESD" and "OSD" but do not know the
advantages and disadvantages of each.

If it helps, the types of applications that I run that I would like to
be able to access the sound system are:

- Music Player (rhythm box)
- VmWare 5.0 running WinXP and Fedora Rawhide
- Evolution (need to hear the alerts)

It would be really nice if all of these applications could cooperate and
all have the ability to produce sound at the same time.